Monday, November 16, 2009

Sunday, brunch day!

On Sunday the four of us enjoyed a delicious brunch in Sítio Bahia. The food was very yummy, all local and organic/biodynamically grown. It was nice weather and to make it all even better there were two musicians, playing very nice Brazilian music. It was nicely busy, not too many people, and many many kinds, extremely pleasant. There were horses for the kids to ride on and lots of space to play. Those kids are some the cutest kids I know. It was nice to see them again, after 1,5 years and to meet the smallest ones for the first time.
Nayara e Mia, cresceram muito!


Thales, the youngest of 8. I used to look after his brothers and sisters a long time ago, and met him now, for the first time:) It took me less than 2 seconds to completely fall in love with him. Look how he squeezes his little baby fat on his leg... exceptionally cute!


Silas, I saw him they day he was born, shortly before the end of our holiday in Brazil. And look at him now, big and beautiful!


Thales again;)


Sandpit after the brunch was finished


Cheeky kids helping themselves at brunch time


Clara


Armadeira - Brazilian wandering spider (Phoneutria nigriventer)

When I got home from the brunch it was already dark. I took my shoes off and wondered into the dark sitting room when I suddenly felt something under my toes. I lifted my foot very swiftly, I knew it was a spider. When I turned the lights on I saw it was a Brazilian wandering spider. Ohh... I was so glad I had kept my socks on, lucky day! Without the socks they day could have had a different ending, probably a painful one.
The Brazilian wandering spider is aggressive and highly venomous. They have a distinctive defensive display in which the body is lifted up into an erect position, the first two pairs of legs are lifted high (revealing the conspicuous black-striped pattern on their underside), while the entire animal sways from side to side. There is where the name Armadeira originates from.
The venom contains a potent neurotixin which acts as a calcium channel blocker that inhibits glutamate release, calcium uptake and also glutamate uptake in neuronal synapses. At deadly concentrations, this neurotoxin causes loss of muscle control and breathing problems, resulting in paralysis and eventual alphyxiation.

It is a very dangerous spider, especially for kids, and one does need to be careful with all kind of spiders. However, I doubt this particular one would have had enough venom to cause me any more than a very painful bite.
It was a little adventure with a happy/painless ending(for me);) The spider was less lucky, it was "accidently" killed by a broom which happened to be hammering around.

No comments:

Post a Comment